June 13, 2006

A walk in the park.

Squirrel   Ducks

Today was the last day off before I start my new job. The morning began with a lovely few hours of journaling and introspection in Laurelhurst Park. The green space was all but abandoned at that early hour, so it was just me and the friendly park animals that came over to visit. I felt focused after my time to think, pray and reflect.

This afternoon was not quite so relaxing. I spent about four hours in a bit of an identity crisis about my future and school and the nebulous weight of all that doesn't exist yet but needs to be planned for. Ugh. It was exhausting.

I am so thankful for parents that offer sound advice, friends that call at the right moment, and hugs from the people that really care about me. I haven't finished sorting through that whole mess, but I know that it is okay to be obliviously happy or completely stressed out. They are both normal feelings, and neither will ever completely reflect reality.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Watch out for the algae!!!

June 13, 2006 10:32 PM  
Blogger Liz said...

Good luck on your first day tomorrow.

June 13, 2006 10:47 PM  
Blogger Karin said...

i gotta say, i can think of no person better equipped to tackle the challenges that lie ahead than you my friend. you are, i think, quite brilliant.

June 14, 2006 9:01 AM  
Blogger Anonymous Me said...

I think all transitions carry a certain amount of stress - it's definitely been my experience, that leaving the familiar and leaping out into the unknown, even for something I want with all my heart, is a difficult experience. I hope you love the new job.

It's funny, sometimes now I look back on my early twenties with some longing for the time when I had all my options open. But I also remember that it wasn't easy having to choose among them. I had a lot of anxiety over the beginning of my career in particular.

June 14, 2006 2:16 PM  
Blogger Erin said...

Yes- transitions are stressful. I like to have my whole future nailed down, but that is not very realistic.

Nancy- There is a lot of anxiety in it! And I want to make the decisions that I won't regret in ten years. There's just no way to guarantee the results of any choice, so that makes it seem more difficult. But I am grateful for the freedom.

June 15, 2006 11:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home