May 26, 2006

Remember in color.

Hooray for a long holiday weekend! I'm headed out of town and out of the reach of modern technology for the next few days. It will be a fun weekend of adventure and relaxation. I hope you all get to enjoy the break. What are you doing with your extra day?

........

Memorial Day is typically a holiday where those who have passed away- particularly soldiers- are remembered by their loved ones. Flowers lie on gravestones, and flags are put out on front porches.

My grandfather is still alive, but I thought I should take this chance to give him a little online salute. My grandpa was born in 1912, and he will turn 94 years old this September. His life has spanned the most dynamic century of human history. He was with the Army in France during World War II, and he spent most of his adult life as a cranberry farmer in Southern Oregon.

One of my favorite things about my grandpa is his mechanical aptitude. On the farm he always tinkered with his machines to make them more efficient, and he had a continual interest in the technological developments that surfaced during his lifetime. He took 8mm film of the startling battlefields left behind in France; and his workbench always turned out interesting adaptations to the norm. (Our family still has a lamp that he made from an old candlestick telephone).

Although we still enjoy having my grandpa present with our family, I want to remember all that he has given to his family and his community through a lifetime of service. Happy Memorial Day!


My grandpa- Loris W.- in a picture taken by Bethany last Christmas.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was just talking the other day about your grandfather, actually. I was remarking how glad I was that I'd never met a Holocaust Denier, and Jed had asked me if I had ever met a Holocaust Survivor, and I said no, not to the best of my knowledge. But then I told him about that amazing footage your grandfather took overseas during the war, and how much that affected me to have him describing what we were seeing as he played it back for us in class. Just, I don't know, just large and amazing and chilling, I suppose.

May 26, 2006 2:07 AM  
Blogger Anonymous Me said...

A candlestick telephone? That sounds like an interesting adaptation already!

I have to see, he's looking good for 94.

May 26, 2006 5:51 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am so proud of Grandpa, and I love this picture of him! Have fun this weekend sis!

May 26, 2006 4:26 PM  
Blogger Jason + Tiff said...

he could be an ocean spray model:)

May 26, 2006 6:32 PM  
Blogger Liz said...

Your grandpa is so cute, sounds like he's had an amazing life. Thanks for sharing.

May 26, 2006 7:05 PM  
Blogger Liz said...

Your grandpa is so cute, sounds like he's had an amazing life. Thanks for sharing.

May 26, 2006 7:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home