May 16, 2006

New growth underneath.

Temperatures stayed near 90° most of the day. The afternoon seemed gray under the heavy heat. And, unfortunately, this was the day I had planned to work outside on my yard. A pickup load of bark dust needed to be shoveled, and it was finally time to deal with the Pampas Grass.

I don’t know who decided to plant five clumps of the tall, ornamental grass in my yard. I wish that I could have been around to object. I like the way that Pampas Grass looks, but it is painful to prune. A few chops with the shears filled my yard with knee deep piles of the brown blades. And those leaves are sharp! My arms and legs have been sliced to prove it.

It took me too long to finish the job. Toward the end I started eyeing my lawn mower with new landscaping potential. But the grasses were spared the mower blades; they just may not have a permanent future in my yard.

It was a long day of work in the sun- complete with victory and agony. There is nothing like yard work to make one realize the limited influence that one pair of hands and shears can really have on the will of nature. But I finished the work that could not be put off, and now the tasks ahead seem like cake.

The hot day wound down to a pleasantly warm evening. The yellow moon hung large and low on the horizon. A mild breeze stirred the leaves overhead. This world is brutal. This world is beautiful.

4 Comments:

Blogger Erin said...

I'll look forward to talking to you, brother!

May 16, 2006 9:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dude! You should give me your pampas grass. I *love* pampas grass.

May 16, 2006 10:34 AM  
Blogger Liz said...

i do not envy you, and it was way to hot to be doing yard work.

May 16, 2006 1:34 PM  
Blogger Jason + Tiff said...

one of the guys i work with had a huge mound of pampas grass right smack in the middle of his yard... he cut it all down, but the roots were still left and now there's this big tumor in the lawn:)

I'm glad you got to get your fingers down in that dirt and grass...it's good for us... builds character?:)

May 17, 2006 12:01 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home