February 10, 2006

A matter of perspective.

I am dog sitting this weekend for Pekah, my parents' Boston Terrier. She is getting a lot of quality time with me as we drive around in my car.



She's a great dog, but I am glad that I don't have her all of the time. I couldn't handle the responsibility.

.............

Speaking of being responsible, I had an eye exam today. I wear contacts, and I had not gotten my prescription updated in a couple of years.

The doctor gave me eye drops to dilate my eyes so she could examine the retinae. Interestingly, she told me that blue eyes take longer to contract back to normal after being treated because the membranes in lighter eyes are less dense than darker eyes.

The dilation didn't bother me until I left the office and realized that I could not focus on anything within a foot of my face. This effect lasted for about three hours. And the sun, oh it hurt! I did take a picture of my monstrous pupils to commemorate the experience (without flash, of course).

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was babysitting the other evening (I know! Who even does that, anymore?), and the family has a very adorable floppy sort of puppy that is precious and sweet and oh so many different puppy appropriate attributes, but as soon as the kids went to bed I was ready to settle down with my book, but oh no, the puppy scratched, and the puppy whimpered, and the puppy became generally just a very adorable nuisance. And I thought about how much ridiculous responsible work a dog is. And how much more a child would be.

February 10, 2006 7:28 PM  
Blogger Anonymous Me said...

I used to say I never wanted to live without a dog, but now that there is Anthony, I'm not eager to add anyone else in my life to take care of.

That's a cool picture of your dilated eyes.

February 10, 2006 8:12 PM  
Blogger Jason + Tiff said...

you look like an angel, Erin!
Trust a girl who checks pupils for a living:)

February 10, 2006 8:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Erin - those are some crazy looking pupils! Sheesh. So you have "dense" pupils? Man, the things you learn in life...

February 11, 2006 6:01 PM  
Blogger Lunared said...

bella donna . . .
this is the name of an illicit drug that means beautiful woman. It causes all kinds of sympathetic nervous system effects--one of which is causing the pupils to dialate. They named it "beautiful woman" because in the culture when it was first noted, large pupils were a sign of beauty in a woman.
So--consider you experience a sort of er . . beauty treatment . . I suppose.

February 11, 2006 9:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

They say that people's pupils dilate when they see something attractive. This is one of the suttle subconscious bits of body language that we pick up when interacting with the ones we love. So, the picture of your eyes is strangly making me feel attractive. :) Anyone else have that feeling when looking at Erin's pic?

February 13, 2006 7:57 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home