February 02, 2006

Those glossy, thin words.

Today I went to the store to pick up a couple of birthday cards for important people in my life. This process always takes me entirely too much time, and I get very frustrated in front of that colorful rack. My problem is not in deciding which birthday message is best; it is finding a card that I am not embarrassed to sign my name in.

The words on the cards I give are very significant to me- both what is printed and what I write. I want it to represent something special about my relationship with the person that will receive it. Language is important. Nuance is crucial.

So why is it that greeting card companies feel it is their sacred duty to write very personal, specific and long birthday messages in most cards printed for the mass market? I want to say nice things to the people I love, but I want to be the one to say them. In my own handwriting. Using my own brain. Why is it so hard to find a card with just “Happy Birthday” inside? Many cards are so garrulous that there is no room left for real sentiment. And if I do find a simple card, why does it most likely have an embarrassingly ugly picture on the front? These are the things that keep me up at night.

The most ridiculous of the bunch are the cards that open with a phrase like, “I cannot begin to tell you what your friendship means to me…” and then they go on to fill the card with at least ten minutes of sappy poetry. In the first place, the phrase “I cannot begin to tell you” makes me want to gag myself on a book of clichés- especially when I see it in writing. And then to fill both panels of the inside with barely-skim-worthy verse seems to underline the insult. I will not even begin to address the shameful use of handwriting fonts.

The entire tradition of giving birthday cards sparks a legitimate debate on cultural manipulation and advertisement, but I will admit that I like to make my friends feel special by writing them a note for their birthdays. I suppose I could make birthday cards, but I’m not generally that crafty. I try to buy blank cards when I can find them, but there’s never a guarantee they’ll be on the rack (and most of them are obvious Thank You cards anyway). Until I muster more creative initiative, I suppose that I am doomed to spend a ridiculous amount of time searching that sea of paper.

And friend, if you see me wandering up and down the card aisle in an endless search for an ideal birthday greeting, please remind me that not everyone takes it quite so seriously.

6 Comments:

Blogger Anonymous Me said...

Ha, I feel your pain. I try to buy appealing blank cards whenever I see them, so I have a stock lying around when the occasion arises. I bought some gorgeous cards from Kristyk via Cafe Press - she's a great photographer and has a link on her site. Cafe Press is a little pricey, though. . .

February 02, 2006 7:13 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I think we share some of the same feelings about greeting cards. Very few of them have any redeeming qualities.

February 02, 2006 10:19 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just can't find the words to tell you
how excruciatingly much it means to me
when I read this blogspot post
and slightly teary-eyed I see
dear friends for my birthday this early shopping
though the days til it? three hundred thirty three.

(some of this meter should probably be shot)

February 02, 2006 8:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, we really enjoyed your thank you card Erin. I didn't know that it was customary to send thank you cards for Christmas presents. We really appreciated the blanket by the way. I love the picture of Mountlake Terrace and your drawing of Buddy almost looks like a photograph of him. :)

February 03, 2006 8:11 AM  
Blogger Erin said...

Nancy- Good idea! I guess I hadn't explored the possibilities of CafePress to that extent. That gets me excited.

DB- I'll remember that for your next birthday.

Skor- I liked your post. I'm glad I'm not the only one rallying for the cause.

Dot- Some of that meter should be drawn and quartered if you ask me. You are so talented!

Jen- Oh, I'm glad you liked it! Don't worry- I didn't feel obligated to send the card; I just wanted to. Plus I didn't see you in person, so it seemed like a fun thing to do. I'm glad you liked my art on the envelope. What is a Mountlake Terrace anyway?

February 03, 2006 10:20 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think the name came from being right next to Balinger lake on a bit of a hill (someone may have thought a Mt.) that has been terraced to build houses. I could be wrong though. :)

February 03, 2006 11:06 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home