November 28, 2005

Crumbling Urns.

There is a fine line between creating art and enshrining narcissism.

Hit the Next Blog button at the top of this window a few times and I guarantee that you will quickly come across the work of some blog poet. It will be a housewife from Sydney or a tax auditor in New Mexico, and that internet savvy writer will be only one out of how-many-thousands of individuals which have devoted web space to commemorate his or her own work.

I am one of them; I won’t deny it. The internet has created a self-publisher’s dream. It is alluring to put those treasured bits of the human soul out for public display. And there are so many people writing poetry these days. Some of it is good. Some of it is awful. Most of it will never be looked at twice. But what does this glut of webcentric poetic overload mean for the larger interplay of art and society?

Lately I’ve been thinking quite a bit about the implications that self-published poetry will have on the genre itself. Reading poetry used to carry more weight. The very fact that a piece was in print implied that someone somewhere had found artistic value in it. Now any aspiring writer can have their work displayed to the entire world. This brings up so many questions in my head.

First: Is poetry dead? Really. The height of the poetic form is generally seen to be the Romantic period in the late eighteenth century. Wordsworth and Shelley shook society with their lines. Ever since their time, poetry has slowly become everyman’s artistic outlet. The information age has only broadened the scope. Shouldn’t art find new ways to express truth? Can we really claim that our poetry says something new when the form is so worn out? And if poetry is dead, then what has taken its place?

Second: If poetry is not dead, then who gets to decide which pieces are actually art? Any schmuck can put her work on a blog as a permanent monument to her personal epiphany. Maybe it is good. Maybe it is more democratic than leaving poetic selection to the academic systems of power that compile anthologies twenty years after the authors have died. But does democracy work with art? Is there a necessary standard by which poetry and other art must be judged? How do we find and share the really good stuff if there is no centralization to artistic selection? Perhaps our grandchildren are the only ones that will be able to sort through the deluge and pull out lasting, innovative work.

Third: Should poetry serve an audience at all? The world has had many great poets: some were famous in their own time (think Coleridge or Pope), and others were successful only posthumously (Dickinson, Blake). The difference between our generation and theirs is that we can garner an audience for any bit of text. They could not. So our poetry can serve to provide the immediate gratification of public (small though it may be) attention for our self indulgent, barely artistic work.

I have one old book that is a self-published collection of poems by a rich man. The novelty of the volume appealed to me more than the work inside, and my initial reaction was to think “How self-important he must have been! He published his entire collection just because he thought that he deserved it.” But of course my poetry blog posts are essentially the same thing. We (being the web poets among us) wouldn’t post a poem that we found no value in. We self validate our work, and we post that validation in our favorite font. So does this even begin to count as art? It seems much more self serving than that. Or is my opinion of art too naïve? It is certainly a slippery bunch of ideas, and it brings up that haggard topic of institutionalization and art. Ugh.

So those are some of my thoughts of late. If you have any opinion about what I’ve said, or if you are a fellow web-publishing poet, please let me know what you think. I’ll probably still post my poetry here once in a while, but keep in mind that I may be contributing to the breakdown of an entire artistic genre when I do so. Please accept my apology, Keats.

5 Comments:

Blogger APN said...

Actually, I hope that Rilke accepts my apologies as I post my poetry. I fully and completely relate to your post, as I've written several e-mails to poetry-loving & -writing friends of mine about the apparent and blatant narcissism that is web-posting of one's poetry. I like having a place to post my writings (good, bad, or in between), but I actually AM a proponent of getting published in the traditional context. I've just got to find a means to do so....

Good post fillled with great thoughts....

November 28, 2005 7:06 AM  
Blogger Anonymous Me said...

That was a great, thought-provoking post. Poetry used to be, and in some cultures, still is a popular form of public expression. My Arabic teacher said that in Sudan, at least where he comes from, every village has at least one poet, and he writes poems to commemorate significant public events. And lots of people there, he said, use poetry to express themselves to others, to say thank you for a gift, or to express love. I think that's just wonderful. I think the world would be a better place if art and poetry were popular, accepted forms of expression, not the domain of an elite. And there will always be venues - you know, journals, even online ones - where poetry can be filtered through a more "educated" or "sophisticated" sieve. But you see my opinion in the quotation marks. :-)

November 28, 2005 8:17 AM  
Blogger Jason + Tiff said...

hey erin!
it is true that an "original idea" is beautiful...
do you think, though, this year... that we, as a culture, are turning more to the artistic side of things than ever before?... it seems like people are being magnitized to it... but maybe I feel like it's around more because I'm living in a very "art-sie" city...?:) (tiff doesn't really know what she's talking about...:)

November 28, 2005 5:36 PM  
Blogger Erin said...

Wow! So many smart people with good things to say. In rereading my post, I realized that it sounded like I was siding a bit with The Man. Not so- I am all for leveling the artistic plane. Historic systems of publication have canonized the “Old White Men” crowd, and I am certain that my bookshelves are missing many brilliant women and minority writers because of it. I think my questions about poetry are just dealing with the implications of this new system.

N- I’m also a fan of having space to share my work, whether it is good or bad. It challenges me to refine what I’ve written when I know that it will have an audience.

Nancy- Great insight. I completely neglected thinking about the role of poetry in small communities, and I believe that it is one of its most important functions. The village poet helps define community identity. Standardized artistic merit aside, that is a very important job.

DB- I’d never thought of that. But can art really be tested by a nonhuman entity? Isn’t art defined by its ability to surprise us- to make us see or hear or feel things differently? Do you think a computer program could really perceive that difference? You’re right, that would change the world. But maybe it would create a new genre of art that was so subversive even the computer couldn’t find it.

Tiff- Maybe so. Maybe we are riding the crest of a new artistic wave. That would really raise the bar for the “greatest” among us, wouldn’t it? We are lucky to live in such an art-aware city. And you make me think that maybe all of this web exposure is actually encouraging more legitimate artistic expression from people that would otherwise never experiment with language and art.

Tim- Welcome! Thanks for the great comment, and thanks for adding songwriting to the equation. You are so right when you say that “marketability is not the best measure of artistic merit,” and I think that my post was really missing that piece of thought.
Both you and Nancy brought up the importance of art to the local community, and I find myself feeling much better about the whole question of art-overload in light of that observation. I think that art must first be for our “villages,” because it will necessarily be the most relevant to that group of people. Your family and friends are served by your art regardless of its endorsement by Big Business Music, and that seems much more appropriate for true art. I haven’t had a chance to hear the music on your site yet, but I am looking forward to doing so.

You all have given me a lot to process. Art must be dynamic and alive, and even blog poets have an immediate advantage over a poet like Tennyson in being able to address their audience in a relevant voice. That carries truth no matter how brilliant or awful those verses may be to the reader (or listener). I’m not finished with these thoughts yet, but I feel like I’ve lost a bit of the angst that drove my original post. Thanks for that.

November 29, 2005 12:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

From what I have heard DB talking about a computer will not have anything to say about people's art, only other people. As they strive the ideas and implications become more interesting.

November 30, 2005 11:03 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home