October 24, 2005

Saburi ni njema: Patience is good.

This last weekend was full of Africa team activities. It was a much more emotional time for me than I would have expected. I am starting to really feel it inside of me. All of the preparations are good and exciting, but my heart is ready to just go. Everyone but me is leaving exactly one week from today, so my departure feels perhaps more immediate than it would otherwise. I still have 12 days until I fly out.

Part of me is sad to be joining things late. I am worried that I will be sorting through some of the initial thoughts and feelings on my own instead of with the team. I will miss out on the benefit of the group process and team bonding during those first few days. I am also nervous that it will be more difficult to connect with the kids when I show up during the middle of our stay at Amazing Grace in Uganda.

On the other hand, I am excited to grow through the chance to travel on my own. I know it probably won’t be an entirely smooth experience, but I am looking forward to stretching myself a bit. I am also very glad to be able to go to Kenya- an experience that I would miss if I was with the team from the beginning.

This trip is really the only thing on my mind right now. My heart always makes its priorities obvious. It is difficult to concentrate on the other things that I need to get done in work and studies.
Focus Erin, focus.

3 Comments:

Blogger Jason + Tiff said...

Erin, when you get to the orphanage, I have a feeling it will be hard to keep the kids off of you...instead of it being more difficult:) If I was a little kid, I have a feeling I'd be tugging at your sleeve all the time:) Praise God:)

October 24, 2005 12:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Erin, I've actually been thinking recently about your Africa trip as well. I was flipping through my planner the other day and I was shocked to see that you are leaving so soon! I am really excited for you though and I can't wait to hear about all your adventures.

October 24, 2005 5:07 PM  
Blogger Anonymous Me said...

I'm so excited for you, too! What an incredible learning experience it will be.

October 24, 2005 7:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home