October 12, 2005

Let's hear it for renewable energy.

Good news folks- salt water may eventually become as useful as oil. Now that would simplify international politics, wouldn't it?

This article from Nature.com discusses new technology to harness energy from wave swells in the ocean. I am optimistic about "clean" energy, but I am also impatient. It seems like The Solution is always on the horizon but never in the power grid. Can you imagine how the world would change if we could break free from our dependence on oil reserves? I hope to see it in my lifetime.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

My brother Joe was telling me all about that about 2 years ago. I heard that they were finding some major hurtles of some sort to make it a reality, but I don't remember what they were now. It seems one of the issues was the transportation and storage of the energy once it was "harnessed".

October 13, 2005 2:26 PM  
Blogger APN said...

I've had some of the same thoughts recently, concerning the state of our energy usage and resources globally, not to mention the U.S.'s usage specifically. Here's a glimpse into such thoughts of mine....

Earlier today, some co-workers and I (where I teach school) were wondering aloud about what kinds of technological advances we'll see in our lifetimes. We thought about what kinds of things our descendents will think would ask us about from their past (our present). The following things came up:

1) Dial-up Internet access (or the Internet as we currently experience it)
2) Cars (or any other kind of personal transportation device) v. transporters
3) The petroleum to power those cars, etc.
4) A decent breathing/living environment
5) Regular access to the outside world (since we'll be living in biodomes)

Ahhhh.... The fun conversations that you can have when you teach in a Waldorf school.

Go visit us: http://www.woodlandswaldorf.org
Or go visit in Oregon -- http://www.portlandwaldorfschool.org or http://www.eugenewaldorf.org

October 13, 2005 3:13 PM  
Blogger Anonymous Me said...

> I am optimistic about "clean" energy, but I am also impatient.

I hear you! I feel slightly more discouraged than happy when I read such articles.

October 14, 2005 6:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home