October 05, 2005

The long, dark shadow.

I just finished reading King Leopold's Ghost by Adam Hochschild. It is a book about the colonization and exploitation of the Congo by the Belgian monarch during the late nineteenth and early twentieth century. The atrocities that were committed under the drive for profits would make anyone cringe. There is evidence that ten million Congolese people died of abuse or outright murder during the ivory and rubber frenzies.

It has me thinking about racism. The West was able to overlook the Congo because questioning the abuses there would mean reevaluating the entire colonial system that fueled Western economies. The exploitation required the participation of individuals at every level of government, military, finance and even religion. Every one had a role to keep the system going.

Hindsight is of course twenty-twenty. Hochschild gives a full and awful picture of how the system mutilated bodies and ultimately destroyed entire societies. But no one saw the whole picture- not even the greedy king. Everyone was shielded just enough to justify their own actions, to pass the blame up or down without missing a paycheck. That seems to be how systems of injustice work. They build on small concessions to injustice- not always starting with the assumption that some life is less valuable, just considering other (read: monetary) factors as more immediately important.

So then it seems that the core of racism ultimately becomes about self-interest, not hating others. My needs justify my actions, even if they affect you. (Not to say that it doesn't become externally focused, destructive and evil, but the root comes from prioritizing the self.)

Now let's consider the most recent context of race and economics brought up because of Hurricane Katrina. Many have argued that if the evacuees had been white they would have received more help and quicker aid. What we clearly saw was a lack of resources for the thousands of New Orleans' residents that were stranded in their city. In this case, race highlights the economic divide that we see throughout the nation.

So perhaps this is how the racism comes to light: those in power had means of escape. As far as I know, it wasn't that anyone intentionally neglected those resources for the poor, black minority. Instead, the need was never even on the minds of those in charge. Not to say that Katrina could have been entirely anticipated by anyone, but I would argue that the wealthy have means to deal with catastrophes just by default. Those left behind are the glaring testimony of the needs that have been overlooked. The visible powerless define the invisible powerful.

The story of the Congo is just one example of the extent to which neglect and self interest can become monstrous. Every culture, every nation has overdue blame to acknowledge. It is just such a slippery slope.

I've been trying to imagine who would be left behind in Portland if a disaster with effects as devastating as Katrina should hit our city. I think that I am slowly forming an idea. So now I have to ask myself hard questions: how do I anticipate the needs of the powerless? How do I overturn my own assumptions and become an active participant in supporting equal human rights? And how, how do I weed out those small concessions to injustice in my life that feed the larger beast?

6 Comments:

Blogger Norwegianthinker said...

Your analysis is as always poignant and correct. After you commented one of my postings at my blog, I've visited your site every now and then, and I always find it interesting. You seem to be a complex person (and that is meant in a positive way). I really appreciate your ability to analyze and draw lines to your own life and your situation. That is so important. Our fight is actually first and foremost in our own mind, against prejudice, racism and all the other evils that we daily have to fight. When we win the battle inside we're ready to take on larger battles. I believe you have come a long way!

October 05, 2005 2:11 AM  
Blogger Jason + Tiff said...

Oh Erin...
there's so much Good stuff flowing through you...that sounds sort-of weird, but you know what I mean:) And it's great that you're thinking about how you can become an active part in it all...you already are...and it's good to get involved...and stay involved. There's lots of people who need love and advocates...

October 05, 2005 8:06 PM  
Blogger Anonymous Me said...

Every time I read your blog, I feel like Jack Nicholson telling Helen Hunt, "You make me want to be a better man." That was a wonderful post, and this thesis, that self-interest is at the core of racisim, rings truer than any other explanation I've come across. You've given me a lot to think about today! The book you mentioned reminded me of Savages by Joe Kane.

October 06, 2005 5:04 AM  
Blogger Heather said...

Erin, I applaud you. I like your thoughts a lot - and I totally agree with you.

October 06, 2005 6:16 AM  
Blogger Erin said...

Wow, thanks for the responses. I was pretty hesitant to post this because I wasn’t sure if the connections in my head would translate well into writing.

NB- Thanks, and welcome! You said “Our fight is actually first… in our own mind.” That is really true. Unfortunately (or fortunately) we cannot legislate the personal philosophies of others, so the best work we can do is to think and live in a way that makes others evaluate their own decisions. Good thoughts.

Tiff- Yes, being involved- personal action. It is the only way to start the change, right? And it opens our eyes to the bigger picture. I really like that you connected love and advocacy in your comment. They are so irreversibly entwined.

Nancy- I have to say, you have a much nicer demeanor than Jack. And better hair. Thanks for the book recommendation! I checked it out on the web, and I’m going to see if my library carries it…

Thanks Heather, I like having a philosophical ally in Canada!

October 06, 2005 9:51 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

How do you feel about this?

It's been very difficult for me to muddle through all the cries of "racism!" that have surrounded the events in New Orleans, and even in the response that has come from places like Portland that typically consider themselves to be above all that. Do crimes of ignoring count as highly as casual ignorant cruelties if they're coming from people who consider themselves to be well-educated? How does the media garble the truth of the issue through their depictions of residents, survivors, refugees?

I think you're completely right when you talk about self-interest lurking somewhere at the roots of evil actions, and I think when racism is disussed it becomes even more tragic. Don Miller talks about how we have this innate desire to be loved, but we constantly seek out ways of getting that love through our own self worth, which leads us to our petty games of finding ways to draw lines between ourselves and other people. This is where the eliticism of high society can come in; worth through wealth. It's where class lines get drawn in elementary schools; haves and have nots separating, each validating their circle through the ways they do and don't conform to perceptions. Subcultures, hate groups, and rock and roll bands all provide a place where someone can achieve a higher sense of self through exclusion or simply secret knowledge. The Masons, the Elks, Awanas. You are special. Here's a badge. Why are you special? Character, color, faith, or haircut. Take your pick. This is why racism is so awful, because it finds that way of elevation from superficial and unchangeable elements, and it works as hard as it can to make fiction into fact.

October 06, 2005 3:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home