October 02, 2005

Just looking, thanks.

Dot and I went to "The Affair" at the Jupiter Hotel here in Portland. Every year the hotel turns its many rooms into mini art studios filled with innovative work. Galleries from all over the country set up their own abbreviated space, and almost everything is for sale.

The collectors were there. Oh, the collectors. All art and business mixed- a strange lot. So many people with thoughtfully gelled hair and noticeable eye glasses. I enjoyed overhearing the conversations.
"Oh yes, I'm buying."
"I'm very familiar with her work. It reminds me of another..."
"Do you sell on a handshake?" "Of course we do."
"The nuance in that piece- it strikes me."

I didn't have long to stay, but I soaked it in. It was simply a different crowd of individuals trying to be in the know, trying to find a niche. And there was some remarkable art to be seen.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You know what's very odd? Usually I am all about the people and the scene and hipster-spotting but I think in this particular case the art was too overwhelming, and the large amount of stationary visual stimuli completely detracted from the moving visual stimuli, and to be honest, I can't remember any of those things you overheard. Which is definitely out of the ordinary for me. I love the peoplewatching, yes I do.

Thanks for meeting me for the Affair.
Wouldn't have been the same without you.

October 03, 2005 6:30 PM  
Blogger Jason + Tiff said...

great observations Erin!... art in people, voices, and frames.

October 03, 2005 10:39 PM  
Blogger Erin said...

Dot- I think I'm not used to rich hipsters, so I started paying more attention. At what point does hipster become chic?

Tiff- Next time maybe they will have some of your art up!

October 04, 2005 8:21 AM  
Blogger Jason + Tiff said...

what in the world, Erin?!!:)

October 04, 2005 8:57 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home