October 06, 2005

The circle of life.

As I left my house this morning, a slight rustle caused me to glance toward my neighbor's yard. There on the roof, only twenty feet from me, was a Great Blue Heron. It's feathers were a deep, dark blue, and the magnificent bird watched me with a cocked head as I watched him. His long neck and prehistoric size made him seem almost personable.

After a few moments of our mutual observation had passed, my feathered friend spread his giant wings and lifted into the air. He flew slowly and deliberately over rooftops and out of sight. I climbed into my car and pulled away.

Oh, I was elated. It is uncommon to see such wildlife in the middle of the city. For a moment I could almost picture the marshy land that must have spread through the area before the houses were built. The heron was like a shadow from another time.

About seven hours later it hit me.

My fish.

The three fish that normally flit around my pond have been missing in action for nearly a week. I had assumed that the murky water and cooler weather had just mellowed them out. Maybe their appetites had decreased? But now I see the reality.

My heron friend was a predator. My bright orange fish were easy prey.

Oh Hank, Peggy and little Bobby, you were good fish. You brought joy to my summer afternoons. I laughed at your fishy antics, and you swam around in circles again and again. I'll miss you.

Beautiful, cruel life.

9 Comments:

Blogger Jason + Tiff said...

Erin! oh no! poor hank, peggy, and little bobby! (I really love those names by the way:)
But Erin, I REALLY love how you wrote this story... I'm just sorry your fish had to be sacrificed for it to come...

October 07, 2005 12:56 AM  
Blogger Heather said...

Hi Erin! Aren't Herons amazing? There is one that lives by the river next to our house, and on mornings when I walk over the bridge to work, and there is a slight fog rising in the morning sun, it is so awesome to see the Heron sitting there in the water. Unfortunately, they do eat fish - and pond fish are a nice easy catch. I'm sorry to hear about your loss!

October 07, 2005 6:17 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You know I love you, but weren't those fish a bit larger than the flitting sort? Other than that, you seem right on the mark.

Oh, predatory heron. Ha-ha. Someone could write a poem.

Oh predatory heron
the monarch of sky and tree
you left a non-celebratory Erin
through your foul fowl meal deed.

Just a bit of doggerel.

October 07, 2005 8:14 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So sad, I never got to meet my little neice and nephews. I weep with you Erin. Weep!

October 07, 2005 8:24 AM  
Blogger Anonymous Me said...

I love King of the Hill!

October 07, 2005 8:53 AM  
Blogger Erin said...

Yep- King of the Hill. I never get to watch it anymore, so I named my fish in its honor.

Thanks for everyone's sympathy! Good news though- I saw Peggy this morning. Perhaps there are more survivors...

October 07, 2005 1:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yay! Hurray for Peggy!

October 07, 2005 2:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The all-consuming heron
deeply griev-ed Erin
By devouring all her fishes
Expressly against her wishes.

October 10, 2005 4:40 PM  
Blogger Erin said...

Simply brilliant. You should be writing children's books.

October 10, 2005 5:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home