September 02, 2005

It's a beautiful omlette.

My friend Jenni came over tonight to share dinner, tea and conversation. We had quite a spread if I do say so myself. She brought a brilliant eggplant, tomato and basil salad which we ate alongside some very colorful omelettes. They included home grown tomatoes, cilantro, green onions, and cheese on top of fluffy, fresh eggs.

I love preparing food for friends. There is something profound about the simple act of making a meal for someone. It is ancient, beautiful and comforting. And it is a tangible way of caring for another person. You are meeting a very basic physical need, but it requires preparation, creativity and a bit of time.

We ate and talked, and then we enjoyed the dark chocolate that Jenni, in a moment of sheer genius, had thought to bring with her.

And now I've cleaned up the kitchen, wished Jenni a pleasant weekend, put Lady Day in the CD player, and generally settled down for the evening. I am looking forward to the long weekend. I'll see some friends, see some nature, and hopefully be able to recharge for the upcoming work week. There is nothing like spending some time in the Great Northwest to remind me of how much beauty there is to be seen in our world.

♪...Maybe Tuesday will be my good news day...♪
Billie Holliday in "The Man I Love"

1 Comments:

Blogger Jason + Tiff said...

Erin... great song to get stuck in your head...:) hmmm...
And great words to describe your time with Jenni...
I hope you have a real beauty of a weekend... feel some bark and pine needles for me:)

September 03, 2005 8:28 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home