August 29, 2005

Matisse on the mind.

Last summer I had a fling with Henri Matisse. I trace its roots to the day that I saw "The Snail" at the Tate Modern in London during the late spring. It got stuck in my head, and Matisse's style of simplified-complexity became a background narration for my summer months. I read his biography, talked about his work to uninterested bystanders, and bought a book that showcased his pieces. Eventually the slight-obsession-phase ran its course. But he has kept a bit of my heart since then.

I think the reason Matisse has been so important to me is that he is the first artist that I have ever loved outside of peer influence. Let's just say that his work isn't commonly hung as posters in college dorm rooms, nor is it generally seen at those calendar kiosks in the mall. He surprised me, and I understood him.

Peter Schjeldahl has a write up on my favorite French modernist in the most recent edition of The New Yorker, and I wanted to share a couple of quotes from the article here:
"Anyone who doesn't love [Matisse's work] must have a low opinion of joy." Okay, so this sounds a bit art-elitist, but it made me laugh.
"Picasso and Matisse are poles apart aesthetically. Matisse told his students, 'One must always search for the desire of the line, where it wishes to enter, where to die away.' Picasso's line has no desire; it is sheer will. Form builds in Picasso, flows in Matisse. Picasso uses color. Colors enter the world through Matisse like harmonies through Mozart." See? Matisse gets to be the artistic underdog. Sure Picasso was inspired, but he was also doted on by the French intellectual community. Matisse was compelled by the integrity of his art. He couldn't cater to the luxury of public applause. Perhaps my bias is showing, but, oh, how I do love Henri.

10 Comments:

Blogger Jason + Tiff said...

Erin,
I'm very happy that you have a thing for Matisse. He does have a way with that color and shadowing...man. Thanks for letting us know; it tells me more about "who's Erin":) If he'd happen to tell something about the annunciation...he'd have me too... I've been sucked into the beauty of those paintings...

August 29, 2005 8:43 PM  
Blogger Erin said...

DB- Right. You know I am not even going to try and argue with you, right? :)

Tiff- Mmm... Annunciation paintings. Any particular version of that scene that strikes your fancy? You should do a piece on it- I always enjoy your creative work.

August 29, 2005 10:58 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

It's okay Erin, I'll argue with DaButtminster for you.

I think it does sorta look like a snail.

Of course, it would probably help if I was on mind altering drugs. I think that would help one understand most art better.

August 30, 2005 7:05 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Um, you realize that your name is actually in his name. How great is that? Have you noticed it before? Somewhere, you could figure out a way to make H one of your initials, and then you could have his name in your name too.

August 30, 2005 4:54 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

BTW, hotlinking images is considered bad internet etiquette. Blogger allows you to host pictures in a convenient and easy way. You should do that.

August 31, 2005 10:09 AM  
Blogger APN said...

Hmmmm....

Henri = E(h)rin

Does that count?

August 31, 2005 6:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I thought of that. And no. I think.

August 31, 2005 7:46 PM  
Blogger Erin said...

Thanks for the photoshopping effort Skor, but I think Dabuttminster may be a lost cause. Ha. And good advice about hosting pictures. Perhaps I'll have to make a little modification.

Dot- I thought I'd this Matisse thing was far from being any form of narcissism, but you have proven me wrong.

N- I prefer Eh? rin. It sounds more introspective.

August 31, 2005 11:28 PM  
Blogger dot said...

It would make you sound questionable, that's for sure.

September 01, 2005 9:43 AM  
Blogger APN said...

Ooooo....

I like that....

Eh? rin -- Very apropos

September 01, 2005 4:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home