August 15, 2005

And a side of anthropology, please.

I first heard about the Incas' complex string systems- known as khipu- in Jared Diamond's phenomenal book Guns, Germs and Steel, and it was recently mentioned on the BBC. It seems that the Incas were the only ancient people group to develop an advanced society without a written language.
Their knots and strings system was long known to be used as a type of accounting, but now researchers are realizing that it is far more important. Certain patterns of knots have been shown to actually represent the names of cities. This development unlocks the potential for the extensiveness of the Incan khipu, and it provides new hope for learning about the long-vanished civilization.
What I find fascinating is that it was a three-dimensional system for language. Khipu "readers" used their eyes and hands to decipher meaning. What equivalent do we have in modern communication? Perhaps Braille evokes a similar sensitivity to touch, but it negates sight. I have heard that many diagnosed learning disabilities disappear when the learner is given alternative ways to process information. I wonder- would using touch and sight give a larger percentage of the population a learning advantage?
I suppose it may be too late to change the essentials of reading and writing systems for the global society...

6 Comments:

Blogger dot said...

Three dimensional language is hot.

I wish I had something informed to say, but I've shouldered "Guns, Germs, and Steel" to the side for too long, so I can't weigh in with anything intelligent except to say that my Braille Tattoo is going to rock.

August 16, 2005 8:22 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

That is pretty sweet. I wish there were a civilization that used three-dimensional physical language combined with the click-popping noise verbal language. That would rock.

August 17, 2005 10:14 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That would more than rock. That would absolutely blow our collective minds.

August 17, 2005 7:51 PM  
Blogger Justin said...

fascinating. so, what did the Spaniards think? "God, these guys sure like they're knitting..."

August 22, 2005 3:27 PM  
Blogger Erin said...

Ha, clever. I'm sure the Spaniards were too busy trying to squeeze gold out of the rocks to be bothered with bits of string.

August 22, 2005 9:55 PM  
Blogger Justin said...

I think it was more than just the rocks that the Spani's were squeezing.

I like your blog, Erin. It's very... you.

August 24, 2005 1:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home