August 03, 2005

Saudi Women's Suffrage.

Saudi Arabia is making some steps toward allowing women to vote. While Saudi elections have their own questions of credibility, the gesture is in the right direction.
The problem of photo ID cards now seems to be the biggest obstacle. The cards are required at the time of voting, and many women feel that it is immoral to have their picture taken. A woman must also have signed permission from her father to be issued a card, and traditional/conservative Saudi men are strongly opposed to the idea of female votes. Read the article here.
I was very surprised to hear about this prospective change in Saudi Arabia of all places. I can't help but wonder what other changes this will trigger in such a historically male-dominated society.

3 Comments:

Blogger Earth Rooster said...

Erin
I don't know how much of a change that this is going to have in the country or the region in general. It does make for good press, though.
I still think that there are too many cultural problems to overcome, before any real changes can take place.

August 06, 2005 2:18 PM  
Blogger My gratitude journal said...

I think this was a great topic... Also a very interesting article you linked.

August 08, 2005 5:23 AM  
Blogger Erin said...

ER- You never know what might happen when you empower women!

Jerrika- I'm glad you liked the article. I thought it provided helpful perspective.

August 09, 2005 1:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home