July 25, 2005

Olallie Lake

I spent the last few days camping with friends from Vibrant. We went to Olallie Lake in the shadow of Mt. Jefferson. On Saturday we took a fantastic hike up to swim in Cigar Lake, and we wound back down the Pacific Crest Trail. That night we enjoyed the campfire, camp food and amateur renditions of John Denver standards.

Accomplishment of the weekend: I learned to play the mandolin! That is, at least enough to follow along with songs in the key of G.

Regret of the weekend: pausing too long in a marshy area along our hike. The mosquitoes were thrilled with their easy prey.
Take a look at this gorgeous world we live in:
Mt. Jefferson over the lake.

A canoe waits on the beach.

The view from our campsite.

8 Comments:

Blogger Heather said...

Beautiful shots Erin! I can almost smell the fresh mountain air.

July 25, 2005 6:28 AM  
Blogger APN said...

I'm jealous & rather envious. Water just doesn't look that blue or clean down here on the northern sections of the Texas Gulf Coast.

YEAH POLLUTION!

I've gotta find someway to get back into the outdoors on a regular basis. Thanks for sharing such wonderful pictures of your trip with your community.

July 25, 2005 9:33 AM  
Blogger AlmightyHeidi said...

Erin,

Your boss question was dysfunctionaly answered on my site. Sorry it took so long, I had a lightning strike and had some computer issues.

Beautiful pictures!!

Heidi

July 25, 2005 1:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well shoot fire, there now. Them are some big daddy hills and some big mama trees thar. I rekon them are at least half the size of our hills and trees. The only downside to life in Texas? The mosquitos are about the size of that thar boat contraption you've built yourself. T'ain't no fun gettin' bit by one of them varmits! Shoo doggy. I'm peacin' out for some bull ridin' and sausage munchin. - Dano.

July 25, 2005 4:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

If only Prineville were so cool and wet. Oh well.

July 26, 2005 8:13 AM  
Blogger Erin said...

Heather and N- Isn't Oregon beautiful? I love having so much natural beauty within an hour's drive. Yes, we are lucky over here. We're trying to keep the pollution at bay, but even Portland has seen smog.

Heidi- I am so glad you did answer it. Thanks for letting me know. I now have many viable options.

Dan- something in your effect has changed since you've been down there. I can't quite put my finger on it...

Jen- ah, but Olallie lake doesn't have the Coopers!

July 26, 2005 10:03 AM  
Blogger dot said...

Mandolins are hot.

July 28, 2005 7:20 AM  
Blogger Garth said...

I happen to love both the outdoors and mandolins! I picked a mandolin up on a whim a couple years ago and it didn't take me long to get a good handle on it. Love the pics - check out my explore play or musings blogs sometime.

G

August 04, 2005 8:57 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home