July 16, 2005

Hug Point.

Bethany and I took a trip to the Oregon coast with a few friends today. We spent most of the afternoon at a cove called Hug Point where the woods and a waterfall spill right onto the sand. It was a perfect day at the beach, and it was great sister-bonding time.
While we were walking along the water, I noticed a woman taking pictures of some rock formations with a very nice camera. Being nosy, I asked her if she was a hobby photographer or a professional. Turns out she is a geologist named Ellen Morris Bishop who writes books about Oregon geology. Lucky, lucky me. She gave us a fascinating mini eco-history of our surroundings. It was wonderful to listen to her talk because she obviously loves her field of study. I felt fortunate to be part of her exclusive audience.
I've posted a couple shots of Bethany and me looking a bit windswept. We are standing in the same spot for both pictures; we just turned to face the opposite direction. I hope you can tell how close the waterfall and woods are to the ocean. I'd venture to say that this may be my favorite stretch of beach in Oregon so far, and I've seen quite a bit of the coast line. And how could you not love a beach called Hug Point for heaven's sake?
Facing the ocean...

Facing the waterfall.

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love Hug Point, so very much (as I also love you and Bethany. But you guys a bit more, perhaps.). It's one of the few places where people get the no-holds-barred permission to hug me whenever. And you're absolutely justified in claiming it as one of your favorite places along the coast. It is most definitely one of mine. The caves, in particular, are most enjoyable, as is the always prevalant possibility of sea creatures to prod. I know no one else has ever felt this, but the ocean always gives me a sense of...calm. Something about being in the presence of something completely uncontrollable just results in an ability to shrug away the cares that so easily entangle.

I think I need to go to the beach, too. Too bad you have plans on Sunday, huh?

July 17, 2005 2:12 AM  
Blogger Heather said...

What beautiful faces to see in such a beautiful place. We certainly have been blessed with soem lovely things to see here on earth. Both in beauty of Creation, and beauty in people. Thanks for sharing your outting.

July 18, 2005 7:02 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow that sounds like you had a fun time. I was a bit sad that I didn't get to go. next time I guess.

July 18, 2005 4:31 PM  
Blogger Erin said...

Mmm, yes. So much beauty in creation.

It sounds like I know a few people that need to get to the beach this summer. Perhaps we should plan another trip sometime soon...

July 18, 2005 9:36 PM  
Blogger APN said...

Wow.... The overwhelming beauty of God's creation made (somehow) even more beautiful by the presence of 2 of His quite loveliest creations....

July 18, 2005 9:49 PM  
Blogger APN said...

Hmmmm.... Who are those two guys of whom you speak? Are you attempting to guess my identity? I'm not sure you'd figure it out....

July 19, 2005 3:22 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

cryptic

July 19, 2005 6:38 PM  
Blogger Anonymous Me said...

When I was on the Greyhound headed west to Oregon for the first time, there was a woman on the bus with a long braid the color of corn, and even though she had a husband and son, she spent part of every year travelling around the country to places she'd never been. When I told her my destination, she told me that the Oregon coast (I think she mentioned Newport specifically) is "God's country," and I would never see a more beautiful thing on earth. And I did get to the coast, once, I don't know the name of it, but there as all the lush green forest leading up to and then the dramatic cliffs at the edge of the sea. It was beautiful. And I'll echo the common sentiment here - you and your sister are both so pretty!

July 20, 2005 6:00 AM  
Blogger Kim said...

Hug Point! I've been there! I went a few years ago, on my way to the Redwood Forest. If you ever have a chance to go a bit further south, go camping at a spot called "Patrick's Point". It's a state park in the northwest of California...really great trails and vantage points! When I stayed there, I met this really neat hippie chick who traded some of her dried fruit for some of my french press coffee!

May 30, 2007 4:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home