July 04, 2005

Prayer

You are known.
The reflection of Your face
shines from Your children-
Our Father who art in heaven.

Yahweh unspoken,
revered and revealed
in the sanctuary of prayer:
Hallowed by Thy name.

And in that holy exchange
transcend our limits
with the hope of new existence.
Thy kingdom come.

Your values and systems
repeal our corruption.
Thy will be done
on earth as it is in heaven.

So that each is valued,
none is untouched
and all are filled,
Give us this day our daily bread.

In that content, remind us of grace
and forgive us our sins
as we forgive those who
sin against us.

Because Your love will
light our paths and illuminate
the truth of Your ways,
Lead us not into temptation.

For our hope is that You
keep us from our darkness.
Expose us in the world,
but deliver us from evil.

For You have made Yourself known,
Amen.

6 Comments:

Blogger APN said...

Beautiful -- Timeless, yet timely....

That prayer sounds much like something that would be used at either the invocation/responsorial prayer or the benedicition where I worship on Sunday evenings. Is it of your personal creation?

July 04, 2005 2:04 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's a form of lectio divina, innit? Reading the scriptures and then providing a response in your own creative fashion, which in turn allows you to focus on the greater message in a contemplative way?

Awesome.

It's funny, though, because I always stand a little bit back from actually doing that myself, some long held fear of including Actual Scripture in Creative Expression, in dread that I'll somehow corrupt it, but that's not really the way it should be.

It's more of a Catholic thing, really. They're much more open to that sort of thing, I feel. More about the message than the actual words.

July 06, 2005 8:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh. And I really like it, too.

July 06, 2005 8:23 PM  
Blogger Erin said...

Thanks to both of you. I wrote the poem as a personal expansion on the Lord's prayer. I hadn't thought of it as lectio divina at the time I was writing, but I think it would fit that category.

Dot, interesting that you were timid to reinterpret Scripture in art. Wasn't that really the best means of communicating Scripture to the illiterate population of the dark ages?

Oh Age of Enlightenment, what have you done to us?

July 06, 2005 11:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

True, true. But, yeah. Age of Enlightenment.

Stupid black and white holy writ linear non-dynamic thought processes. Perhaps I'll dare myself to do it.

I also blame my parents, of course.

July 07, 2005 9:58 AM  
Blogger Heather said...

I love this poem. Nicely done.

July 13, 2005 11:37 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home