July 04, 2005

Bits of this and that.

The world has been talking about Africa this week thanks in large part to Live 8. I appreciate that musicians are using their celebrity to draw attention to the issues of poverty in Africa. The test of the tactic will be if their audiences actually pay attention to the decisions made at the G8 now that the music is over.

African church leaders have publicly called attention to the turmoil in Zimbabwe. See details on the BBC website.

Today is Independence Day, and I can hear the fireworks exploding outside as I type. No matter that it is technically still the night before the holiday, my neighborhood is always ready to light up the sky. I'll head over to my parent's house today for some time with my family and a few friends at our annual barbeque. My parents have decided on a mostly-vegetarian menu, and I couldn’t be prouder. We will be having veggie burgers, tofu dogs and a few real hamburgers for the weak at heart. The evening will end, as always, on the roof for the best panoramic view of all the illegal fireworks.

Surface Ripple has been up for a month now. It has quickly become a strange and wonderful little corner of my life. I am happy to have an incentive to sound my opinions, and I have enjoyed the opportunity to write more regularly than before. Thanks to everyone who has read my rambling posts, and/or commented here. I am glad to share this cyber-community with you.

5 Comments:

Blogger APN said...

I'm glad that you're hear, as I enjoy reading your thoughts, ideas, poems, and heart. Keep typing and I'll keep reading & repsonding. Thanks for reading from me as well....

And eat a veggie burger for me as well. I like them a lot....

July 04, 2005 2:05 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hope it went exceptionally well. Your family is always like, some shining light, and I really would like to spend more holidays with y'all and the sheer goodness held therein.

I think the Fourths are out, though. They've become their own odd thing.

July 06, 2005 8:24 PM  
Blogger Erin said...

It was very enjoyable. Veggie burgers were eaten. Fireworks were watched. Dear family and friends were present. It was a restful and satisfying holiday.

July 06, 2005 11:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

May I ask why the new focus on meatless meals? Health reasons, personal conviction, taste preference? Just wondering.

July 18, 2005 2:39 PM  
Blogger Erin said...

I suppose for healthy eating. Nothing against meat in particular, but we all like the veggie burgers. They are easier on the ol' digestive system too.

July 18, 2005 9:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home