July 09, 2005

Friends of a moment.

There is a type of conversation that usually only occurs on an airplane or a train or in a long line, where two strangers talk about deep personal issues that would normally be reserved for close friends or family members. It is an extremely intimate, largely risk-free conversation because both parties have inwardly acknowledged that they will likely never see the other person again.

I had such a conversation today in the waiting room of a medical clinic. What I thought was a cold has turned into a full blown sinus infection, and my desperation to get well (and get rid of my eternal fever) took me into the local urgent care center.

While enduring my two hour wait to be seen, a girl around my age sat next to me. We talked about our various reasons for being among the afflicted. Naturally the conversation became more personal, and I learned that she has two kids, a husband with very little empathy, works at an adult foster home, and has two siblings that both recently moved to the East coast. We talked about her problems breast feeding and her struggle to get along with her in-laws. We joked about faking medical emergencies to get a bump toward the front of the line. We shared family histories and career aspirations.

And then my name was called. I left her with a fleeting “goodbye, good luck!” over my shoulder as I was herded toward the examination room by a brusque nurse in cheerful scrubs. That was it. We never even exchanged first names.

It left me wondering what to do with such an experience. Obviously part of the freedom of our conversation was that our relationship had predefined points of beginning and end. It would have been unnatural to try and further it as we had no real investment in each other’s lives outside of our coinciding maladies. But I think I have come to realize that there is value in even such a short-lived interaction. For the time that we sat and talked, we valued each other as human beings and affirmed the basic relational capacity that is present between any two people. I think that acknowledging a stranger’s unique personality is probably always healthier than pretending like they do not exist. That is why elevators are so uncomfortable. You are standing just close enough to others that you are forced to recognize their presence, but the ride is too brief to do anything about it.

So I look forward to my future friends-of-a-moment. Perhaps the relationships we share will be short-lived, but they will teach me things that I would never learn if I sat alone.

10 Comments:

Blogger APN said...

Isn't it amazing what can actually happen betwixt humans when they actually decide to let their guard down and trust each other? These kinds of interactions are more prevalent than we give them credit for, as well as more enlightening that we allow them to be. I enjoy reading your thoughts on what appear to be such seemingly trivial events in our lives, when, in fact, God really can be present in the small and mundane, if we just let Him.

BTW, how would your compare your experience today with the observations of Edward Norton's character in "Fight Club" as he talks about his 'single serving friends'?

July 09, 2005 9:48 PM  
Blogger Anonymous Me said...

Erin, you expressed that so well, without the cynicism of "Fight Club." :-) When I think about what makes my life happy, the first thing is simply positive interactions with other people. I'm always glad for opportunities like that.

July 10, 2005 9:20 AM  
Blogger Erin said...

N,
Yes, God is in the small things like a compassionate touch or a moment between strangers.

I haven't watched "Fight Club" in a few years, so I can't remember many details from the scene you are talking about. Needless to say, I haven't relied on "Fight Club" to shape my interactions with strangers in real life. Ha ha.

Nancy,
It's amazing how far those small, positive moments with others can take us. So much of the trouble is just taking a risk to reach out.

July 11, 2005 1:00 AM  
Blogger APN said...

Well, I'm glad that "Fight Club" hasn't shaped those aspects of your social life. I couldn't quite get the image of you walking around beating the crap out of people, like some dark nihilist. I guess I was being obnoxious and curious all at once. And I guess I like that movie.... *hangs head in shame*

July 11, 2005 9:44 PM  
Blogger Erin said...

Thanks brother, I'm glad you visited.

And what a flattering name you have picked for yourself!

Love, Erin

July 12, 2005 9:58 AM  
Blogger Heather said...

Erin, 'tis so very true! I had a similar conversation with a man several years older than I on a plane. We headed into what I would have usually felt were "stormy waters" conversationally - things I never even discuss with my close friends. It's nice to hear someone elses take on it. I like that you reference God, and that you feel He puts these moments in your life to serve a purpose.

July 13, 2005 11:34 AM  
Blogger Russtopher said...

I think it's the whole relative anonymity of things that allows you to let your guard down so much - much like a lot of people head online to vent and toss around things that they would never discuss in "real life" during a face to face conversation with someone. I'm guilty of that myself, more than I'd like to admit :-) We, as people, tend to want to just verbalize things that are going on within us, things that trouble or worry us - doing that with that stranger in the waiting room, or in someone else's blog lets us get that emotion out in order to either deal with it, or just put it in it's proper context.

Make any sense?

July 13, 2005 4:40 PM  
Blogger APN said...

It makes absolute sense. Why else would the blogosphere be as large and influential as it has become? Us fine folks in the West tend to mask our interests and passions (unless we're on a TV or radio talk show of some sort) and we certainly don't share ourselves with the people in our lives. Thus, we run to this relatively safe haven of the Internet where we CAN share with each other, mostly because we're afraid of getting too emotionally broken in front of people that we do know.

Of course, I do feel that the blogosphere is MUCH more personal than chatrooms, the former bastion of anonymity on the Internet. "Why is that?" you might ask. Well, mostly because people do seem to want to share their true selves on their blogs more readily than on any other online venue. At least, that's how it appears to me....

July 13, 2005 6:05 PM  
Blogger BamaGirl said...

I had a very similar experience on a plane recently. I met this girl who talked to me for 4 hours and ended up making me cry and tell her things I hadn't talked about before. Then we just parted ways and said good luck! It's so strange. I'm glad others have these experiences where they can totally relate to a perfect stranger.

July 13, 2005 6:34 PM  
Blogger Erin said...

Thanks for the great comments here. Welcome to the first-timers!

I think that I disagree with a bit of the blogs-anonymity connection. It is true that we do expose a lot of our interior process on blogs, but it is still very selective. I don't sort through all of my emotions or personal crises online simply because I don't trust the “open waters” of the web. There's too much risk of exposure. The best feedback on the deep, personal things will come from those in my life that know my background and idiosyncrasies.

Also- I find blogs that get too personal are actually just uninteresting. I cannot contribute to the conversation because I am too separated from the actual person and/or events. Their writing ends up being entirely about themselves, and I get bored.

In contrast, my temporary-friend in the waiting room immediately reacts to what I share, and she responds with her own disclosure. It makes for a much more personal conversation than I usually have via blogs.

July 13, 2005 11:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home