August 15, 2005

Dusting off the artistic side.

After two weeks of living without the internet in my house, I am finally connected and online. So what did I do during my time away from the wires? I enjoyed the beautiful weather. I spent at least two afternoons lying in a hammock. I went to a local film festival. I played soccer with friends. I wrote some poetry.
When I was writing, I realized that I haven't posted any of my poems here in a while. Sorry, but I won't share what I wrote most recently. It is still too current a process of emotions. But I will post three poems that I wrote last spring.

Pioneer Courthouse Square: Men

Man sleeping with chin on chest.
Bicyclist in full regalia.
Artful boys smoking cigarettes.
Stiff suits on men with short hair.

Pioneer Courthouse Square: Women

Girl with thick arms in a tight shirt.
Expensive woman at an ATM.
Horn-rimmed glasses under black brows.
Old ladies in white pants.


What Makes Us Sisters
to Bethany

Napping together with the music low
on sunny, Sunday afternoons,
blue light in our windows
and a gentle breeze on our faces.

Sharing a room and fighting about whether
the door should be closed or open
while we sleep because by controlling this
we control the world. (It should be closed.)

Telling secrets and deeper truths
than anyone else will hear--
an unspoken blood-bond of fidelity
or certain bodily revenge.

Talking through all that we love
about our family, faith, friends
and the movements of our hearts
in revolutions of passion or peace.

Becoming women together
and knowing that our mysterious bond
of genetics and camaraderie
makes us stronger to face the world.


I struggle, folks. So far I have really only posted my impersonal writing because it is easy to expose. So much of what I process, whether it was six months or three years ago, makes it into poems that I never feel free to share.
Maybe if you were sitting right here with me I would let you read the more personal poems. Maybe if I could trust myself enough to trust my emotions, then I could post them for anyone to read.
I know that part of the problem is that I like to be balanced, and poetry usually represents the depth of one particular feeling without the context of reasonable perspective.
I am also not the coolest poet that I know. My life is full of writers and artists that blow me out of the water with their inspired work. I am lucky to be surrounded by truly gifted friends.
And some of my poems are about you out there. Heaven forbid that you should read them and recognize yourself.
So for now I'll offer the occasional piece. I hope that as I grow more comfortable with my own writing, I will be able to give you a more complete picture of who I am and how I see the world.

8 Comments:

Blogger dot said...

Oh, how I do love the artful boys smoking cigarettes.
And you, of course. Both of those things I love, as well as the privilage to see your words as opposed to just hearing them.

August 16, 2005 12:39 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Erin. I enjoyed your poetry. Thanks for sharing. And now, for your honesty, I'm doing something I've never done before: posting a poem on a blog comments section. wow. Hope you enjoy it.


poetry is gnostic


poetry is gnostic
cloak and dagger spirit worship

aiming to impress the empress and the wise men
pat on the back from the queen of quacks
you betcha

poetry is gnostic
flimsy specters coming to life in
cave chants

oh you wanted the outline?

1. x
a. x
b. x
2. x
3. x

modern mind hoping for facts and figures
sorry.

poetry is gnostic
they give you a hollow strip tease
then you've gotta walk on broken glass for one mile
you arrive
you've managed to
wear out your soul
bleeding
screaming

if you survive
then you think you know god
and no one else knows her

August 16, 2005 1:06 AM  
Blogger Anonymous Me said...

I'm amazed by writers who can put the most personal, intimate details of their lives on paper (or screen) and then publish it for the world to see. I could never do that. And yet, I'm grateful for those who can because good writers have given me a lot to think about by opening up their lives and minds for me to examine!

I really, really liked the poem you wrote to your sister.

August 16, 2005 8:14 AM  
Blogger Erin said...

Dot- Thanks. And thanks again for your company this weekend.

Dan- Wonderful work! Thanks for entrusting my comments section with your art. I especially dig the last stanza. Did you write this poem recently?

Nancy- Thanks. I also appreciate those writers that are willing to expose their interior. We can connect with others so deeply in the parts of ourselves which we are the most terrified to share. Strange contradiction.

DB- Mmm. yes. Back when all of the W' kids slept in the same state, same city, same house. We never did find a perfect angle, but Lord knows we tried. I'm glad you liked the poem.

August 16, 2005 9:31 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah, I wrote it a couple of days ago. I had just shared another poem with Phil, and he asked me to explain it - then enjoyed it - then asked me why on earth I write stuff that isn't clear - and I began to ponder. Poetry. Hmmm.

August 16, 2005 9:55 AM  
Blogger Erin said...

Why write stuff that isn't clear?

I suppose that is a fair question about poetry. I know that re-coding my emotions or thoughts in poetry helps me understand what exactly it is that I am feeling. And it forces deeper exploration. And it makes me express things that would otherwise fester inside me.

But I am a postmodern writer. Coleridge and Wordsworth would think I'm crazy (although Blake might understand). The Romantic poets worked to "enshrine" their experience in nature or to capture a picture of their life or to teach a particular lesson. See Wordsworth's "The Prelude."

That calls into question the very nature of the art itself.

Spenser and Sidney worked to perfect the Sonnet. It was a high art of structure and rhythm. Message was important, but it was always second to the almost-scientific structure of established expectations for poetic form.

So then, what exactly defines a poem vs. artistic prose? Any thoughts?

August 16, 2005 2:34 PM  
Blogger Earth Rooster said...

I write poetry, as well. My prose, though, is always on the dark side. The reason for this? I was taught to write poetry by a shrink to release the anger, angst, depression...that I built up.

I am no Walt, but I did manage to create a blog for these thoughts. You are welcome to read this at ruminationsonamind.blogspot.com.

These are pretty old, however, as I haven't been in the negative type mood for a while.

I can understand the reason for not sharing personal poems. I have always believed, though, that once a thing (letter, note, poem, journal) is written, it becomes public domain. Hopefully you will one day feel comfortable enough to share yours.

I would be interested to read whatever you write.

August 16, 2005 6:39 PM  
Blogger dot said...

I would love to know about that whole poetry or artistic prose debacle as well, since I've been carting around jumples of plotless words for a while now with no good result. I've found that line breaks make it feel more like poetry, but that's all I've got.

August 17, 2005 12:48 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home