August 31, 2005

Things in Erin's thoughts- a brief summary.

So many are feeling pain and loss from hurricane Katrina. I cannot wrap my mind around the pictures that we are seeing. I am not sure that anyone really believed it could be as bad as this. My heart aches for those that will never see their homes or family members again.

New Orleans and the other affected cities have been thrown into the most basic mode of survival. The twenty first century still has disease, hunger and filth under all of our shiny machines- we just usually don’t all experience it together. May God provide for the needs of those who have been left without resources. My heart and prayers go out to them.

……………

Thanks to those that provided feedback on my upcoming work-week options. I have decided to go with Monday- Thursday for now. Although the choice technically existed, I was strongly encouraged by the Forces That Be to come to that conclusion. It was fun to read your various opinions on the subject. Thanks for good advice all around!

……………

This coming weekend is generally accepted as the last weekend of summer. I am not ready for fall. I need three more weeks of 80° weather, and then I will welcome in the changing leaves and warmer clothes with open arms.

But no, no. I am not going to dwell on this. Rather, I choose- right now, as I am typing- to embrace the turning of the Earth on its axis. Why fight such a large astronomical event? Instead of mourning summer’s passing, I will look forward to carving pumpkins, or something equally fall-ish, to fill the void that the sunshine will leave.

Right, we’ll see how this change of attitude goes. I think I can pull it off.

……………

In very exciting news, my new roommate (and occasional blog-commenter) Carolyn has just moved into the cozy little house we are sharing. After a month alone, it is nice to have a friend around to make dinner with.

5 Comments:

Blogger Jason + Tiff said...

man... erin...
there's so much sadness with beauty intermixed.

September 01, 2005 12:30 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hot apple cider and candles, and things with cinnamon in them. The wind will let us wear scarves, and wool? Suddenly in again. Tweeds and Twills and autumn leaves, fall has chill and roofs have eaves. Small houses are nicer, but bigger is better, come October we'll love this weather. Cardamom and honey, and summer's last lavender, the corn maze up at Sauvies, cocoa our wet provender.

September 01, 2005 9:42 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

funny, I was going to mention hot cider too! I LOVE the changing of leaves and bulky comfy sweaters, hearing the rain on the roof as I cuddle up with a good book and some hot tea. Jumping in piles of leaves, seeing little trick-or-treaters. Going to harvest parties and eating popcorn balls. These are some things to look forward to.

September 01, 2005 10:19 AM  
Blogger Jason + Tiff said...

Erin,
I checked out that webpage about 75 degrees south...
AMAZING!
First off, the penguins!!... SO MANY of them... and how they were all huddled together... SO weird for me to see for some reason!
And those pictures of where the people live... it reminded me of NASA moon stuff
So would that mean that the penguins are aliens?! :)

September 02, 2005 12:09 AM  
Blogger Erin said...

Dot and Jen- you are both so right. You've actually gotten me a bit excited about the coming crisp weather. Thanks!

Tiff- I'm glad you liked it. You can see why I was enthusiastic about it. Fascinating stuff, isn't it?

September 02, 2005 11:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home