March 05, 2006

Five senses on Saturday.

I saw new neighbors moving in. Three white vans brought a household of things and the bustle of a family with at least two little girls. Our meeting was short, and the language barrier made it a bit awkward, but I’m looking forward to sharing the space of our lives.

I felt the warm sun streaming through windows. I had to reach for my sunglasses as I drove toward the light. The hint of spring tempts me to wear sandals when I know that I’ll regret it, but I can feel the promise of long summer days to come.

I heard a compliment from someone that I respect. I’m sure he didn’t realize the importance of his words to me, and it was couched in the menial small talk of coworkers. But it was the kind of unexpected gift that makes me blush in the moment and smile to myself on the way home.

I tasted my favorite breakfast cereal in the entire world: Corn Pops.

I smelled the pages of a book that I’m reading. That scent of ink and paper is the one consistent sensation that ties together the words that have shaped my life. I can simply close my eyes and feel the invitation to join in.

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Corn pops rock!

March 05, 2006 5:03 PM  
Blogger Heather said...

I do love Corn Pops. In the U.S. though they are sort of irregularly shaped, while here in Canada they are perfect spheres. But they taste exactly the same.

Erin, if you love the smell of ink and paper then you just have to come visit me at work. I work in a design and print shop, and all day I breath in that special ink and paper smell. Not to mention that I smell like it when I get home. Once, one of my co-workers' daughters received a book as a gift and when she opened it she took a deep breath of the pages. When asked why she did that, she said "I love the smell of books". "Why", she was asked. "Because they smell like daddy".

March 05, 2006 8:20 PM  
Blogger Anonymous Me said...

One, two, three, four, five! senses working o-ver-time. . .

Now you've made one of my favorite XTC songs run through my head - not a bad thing.

Corn Pops are fine, but they're a poor man's Kix. You want your perfect spheres of golden corn goodness, you buy the Kix.

March 06, 2006 7:05 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

OOooohh....print shop goodness.

Also, I look forward to the "Six Senses on Saturday" post. Think of how impressive the alliteration would be!

March 06, 2006 8:35 AM  
Blogger Anonymous Me said...

oops, evenstart is me.

March 06, 2006 10:02 AM  
Blogger Erin said...

Beth- Yes, so much.

Heather- That's a great story! You smell like learning.

Nancy- I was wondering about the mysterious "No profile." I'll admit, Kix do have the shape thing going for them, but Corn Pops have the extra sugar. I don't generally have deep feelings about cereals, but I just love them. I think I could eat an entire box of them if I didn’t limit myself.

Dot- I sensed dead people... Something like that, right?

March 06, 2006 10:40 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Something. Yes.

March 06, 2006 7:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home