February 28, 2006

Feel that edge.

Thirty days hath September, April, June and November. All the rest have thirty-one, save one.

I like the month of February. It is the last full month of winter, and it is the shortest month of the year. Flowers begin to bloom in February. Sunlight returns to the late afternoon, and once in a while we get a gorgeous day. I also appreciate February’s unique function in the calendar year: it carries the universal variant, the possibility of an extra day. By shaping February, we keep our dates consistent with the seasons. And all of this happens in just four weeks!

Today also happens to be Fat Tuesday. Lent begins tomorrow, and we will start to count the days toward my favorite celebration.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nakedness on Surface Ripple! It's a new era. Looks like you're trying to stir more than waters. Then again - it is Fat Tuesday... Carne Vale - Hello Lent.

February 28, 2006 1:09 PM  
Blogger Erin said...

Ha, you probably won't believe me when I say that I've never noticed that bit of "exposure" in the painting until now. Nudity posted in ignorance, I swear! Those 15th century painters were a bit more comfortable with the flesh than us, eh?

All in the name of art, Dan. All in the name of art.

February 28, 2006 1:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That opening poem was so dramatic! I almost got chills.

February 28, 2006 6:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home