February 25, 2006

A finger right on it.

I had dinner tonight with a friend from back in the days of my literature classes at university. He and I had shared some intense philosophy courses, and we were conversation buddies when it came to endless discussions about perception, hegemonies and the subversive in academics and life.

After catching up on basic personal details, our conversation swung toward those huge topics of truth and God and the philosophies of spiritual living. We have chosen different paths in the last few years, but I was glad to realize that we were still able to listen to each other and successfully exchange ideas.

It is crazy that we can talk about God. We are such little fleshy creatures. How can we pronounce labels for the divine? And yet I make claims about God every day by being part of a defined faith tradition.

There is no safe conclusion to a conversation about spirituality. By the end of our evening, my metaphors were getting a bit worn out. We parted ways with more questions for each other than answers. But we both knew that it always comes down to what one chooses to believe in the face of the intangible. We each have to continue seeking meaning and truth, and oh, what beauty there is to be found!

...............

In other news, my sister Bethany is home for the weekend! I’m looking forward to spending some time with her tomorrow.

1 Comments:

Blogger dot said...

Little Fleshy Creatures! Little Fleshy Creatures!

February 25, 2006 9:37 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home