February 21, 2006

Now in cut time.

It was a lovely, long weekend thanks to the Monday holiday. I did some work. I played a bit. And I slept in late for two mornings in a row.

Last night a few of us went swing dancing again at the Crystal Ballroom. I made the mistake of wearing some slightly impractical shoes, although I didn’t realize the extent of my error until the evening was over. You see, someone taught me to add two hops into a tuck turn. It looked really great, but today I want to numb my legs from the mid-calf down to deaden the pain.

………

Yesterday I was chatting in the kitchen with my mom and my roommate Carolyn. We were talking about bugs, and I took a few moments to celebrate the fact that we have had only two spider encounters in the entire time we have lived in our little house. That is an amazing record since we have two large trees in the yard.

As though the creepy crawlers could hear my boast, what do you imagine greeted me in the shower this morning? A huge spider with thick, long legs. :shudder:

Coincidence? You decide.

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness! It's like we brought it on because you know what else, as I was walking out of the "office" or whatever you want to call it this morning I ran into a spiderweb. So there you go we have officially welcomed the spiders to live among us!

February 21, 2006 4:18 PM  
Blogger Erin said...

Carolyn- Maybe it was from that spider that I killed. Could we be that lucky? Or has our spiderless streak been broken?

February 21, 2006 4:35 PM  
Blogger Anonymous Me said...

My mom sprays a white vinegar and peppermint oil solution at spider webs and the spiders don't return to that place. There were a lot of spiders living here when we moved in, and she has more than decimated the population. I don't think the solution hurts them, it just encourages them to leave. I had a roommate who would always ask the spiders to leave while concentrating really hard with her mind. It didn't work.

February 21, 2006 5:31 PM  
Blogger dot said...

You summoned them. Yep.

Wanna get together and commiserate about our lower extremities?

I thought so.

February 21, 2006 6:13 PM  
Blogger Lunared said...

i'm sorry i missed out on the torture . . er dancing . . . cv and i went to toni's birthday party and were so mellowed that we decided to head home instead!

February 21, 2006 7:19 PM  
Blogger Heather said...

Hmmmmmm... there definately is some irony to the shower spider I think. One good thing about -45 winters... NO spiders!

February 22, 2006 6:36 AM  
Blogger Erin said...

Nancy- That sounds like a helpful potion. I don't like killing them, so it would be nice to have an alternative pest strategy.

Dot- How's the knee?

Stacy- We missed you guys, but there's always next month.

Heather- Good point. I'm not sure the spider-free life is worth the price, but at least I know that I have options!

February 22, 2006 1:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home