January 30, 2007

Beyond first glance.

For the things we see now will soon be gone,
but the things we cannot see will last forever.


Sometimes the fabric stretches so thin that I can see through it. Like when you are sitting on a hammock, and you realize that only a few well-strung ropes make the bed.

These systems that I’ve put my weight on in the past- personalities, traditions, hopes, my unspoken expectations- they all get pulled apart. I thought things were in order; the material seemed strong. And it disintegrates in front of my eyes.

But the light shines through the threads, and that’s what gets me. The cloth is weak, and the light shines through. And I realize that it was never about the fabric anyway.

........

Dan is flying back to Portland tonight. I’m about to head out to pick him up at the airport. It will be good to have him state-side again.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home