March 13, 2006

There is such a thing.

I am happy to report that jokes from four months ago are still funny. I spent a majority of this last weekend with friends from my Africa team. We watched video clips from our trip, ate delicious Ethiopian food, and talked late into the night. The six of us piled easily into a five-seater car to get around town, and I couldn’t help but remember the matatu rides through Kampala with similar seating arrangements. All we were missing was a pile of luggage, a few curious strangers to squeeze in with, and the buzz of African radio.

...........

My full weekend left me absolutely exhausted, and I went to bed at 9:30 PM last night. I slept for ten hours, and my dreams held people dancing and something like summer and an underlying feeling of expectation.

4 Comments:

Blogger Jason + Tiff said...

very cool, Erin.

March 13, 2006 5:20 PM  
Blogger Garth said...

Ethiopian food is really good! My sister & bro-in-law work with Sudanese refugees in Ethiopia and I visited her there about 9 years ago. I definitely would like to go back sometime. Where were you in Africa?

March 17, 2006 9:21 PM  
Blogger Erin said...

Garth- I'm so glad you have been to Ethiopia. I was in East Africa also, but I was a bit further south than you were. We traveled through Uganda, southern Sudan and Kenya. It was beautiful and life shaping and so hard to describe. I certainly identify with wanting to go back someday!

March 17, 2006 10:52 PM  
Blogger Garth said...

Southern Sudan really? My friend Claire is working with Samaritan's Purse there and it definitely is not easy to get into that country. My sister lives about an hour away from Sudan in Ethiopia. I've also been to Kenya but we did the tourist stuff there. We loved the Masaii Mara Game Preserve - I have tons of pics from there.

March 18, 2006 7:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home