March 15, 2006

Playback: Repeat.

In the typcial pattern of almost-spring, it has been a tedious couple of weeks in Erinland. It is nothing desperate; I have a lot to be happy about, and I am grateful. My emotional resources just seem to be running on the low end. I’ll dutifully accept a dreary week or month once in a while, but I’m looking forward to the upswing.

........

Perhaps this is a naïve question, but if the Israelis were so concerned about Palestinian militants being freed from prison within the next few days, why didn’t they just wait to arrest them when they walked out? It seems like it would be a lot easier than conducting a highly controversial prison raid.

I know international relations are usually a bit stickier than that, but I just had to ask.

........

Speaking of conflict, I’ve never been very keen on navigating the vast realm of unspoken female politics. I work with a staff of all women, and while I try to avoid making sweeping statements about an entire gender, there is a lot of nuance in the way that women interact within systems of power. Confrontation often becomes a series of hints underneath smiles of assurance that everything is fine. It can be exhausting to try and stay on top of it all.

........

Happy 31st anniversary to my Mom and Dad! You rock.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I completely agree with your thoughts on working with psycho-passive-agressive women all the time. I think that working in an office dominated by women is just a little taste of what hell will be like. Good thing I know where I'm spending my after-life (with a group of logical people and lots of food!)

March 15, 2006 8:07 AM  
Blogger Karin said...

oh erin - rebel against dutiful acceptance of the dreariness! rebel!

March 15, 2006 11:17 AM  
Blogger Jason + Tiff said...

Happy Anniversary!!

March 15, 2006 4:49 PM  
Blogger Anonymous Me said...

The female politics thing, I think it's a symptom of women not having enough power. My todder uses whining, tantrums, and other forms of manipulation to get what he wants, and he often fails. Grown up women, who've been trained since birth to be nice all the time - or sweet, here, you have to be sweet - resort to . . . as you put it, "nuance."

And happy anniversary to your parents. 31 years - that's wonderful!

March 15, 2006 5:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I would suggest that the annoying politics of women is not because they do not have enough power. I believe that they refuse to take the power, for there are many women that do not act this way by their own choice. In the end, it is always a personal choice.

March 16, 2006 9:53 AM  
Blogger Susanne Hughes said...

I agree that work situations such as what you describe can be stressfull. You have a good heart and a sweet nature, so please don't take it to heart! Great Blog!!!

March 17, 2006 9:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home