March 22, 2006

The high threshold.

When I saw the headline article on BBC news this morning, I thought that the picture of masked ETA members was going to be more bad news. It turns out to be quite the opposite. How great is it to hear that a group known for civilian violence has called for a permanent ceasefire in order to focus on democratic solutions? I know if is not a complete resolution to all that has gone on in that region, but it is certainly a giant leap in the right direction.

.........

Things in Sudan continue to fester.

There is a strange separation in my mind between the Sudan that I visited last November and the Sudan that I read about on the news. Sometimes it is hard to believe that they are the same. When I think about being there, I smell the thick air and green valleys. I picture kids from the villages running out to greet us, and I remember the peaceful feeling of waking up to the early sun outside the hut at the orphanage. These things are what I know in Sudan. They are my experiences. My memories are full of friends.

The scars on children that sat in my lap are also real to me. I can trace the outlines of their injuries in my mind, and I know they are evidence of the war that still lingers around them. I hear the echoes of stories from my friends about being forced to be a child soldier, seeing their houses burned, being separated from families, and much more. These things also shape how I know Sudan.

But when I read about Sudan on the news, it seems like it could be on a different planet. It becomes a giant mess of issues that earns second-tier story status. The problems are huge and vague, and they tell us that there is some work being done somewhere by someone to help. There is no connection to a person, there are just masses of people. It is a low priority on the big lists that are weighted by oil and the immediate feedback of approval ratings.

My relationships with Sudanese friends become the lens through which I view the conflict and understand the reports. That is hard work; it is easier to just not process it. Thinking of these stories in a personal way makes for a very tangible feeling of powerlessness. I cannot reach that far, and I cannot stop the conflict. I can’t protect the innocent. But I know that I am responsible to what I have seen, and I am motivated to make those abstract concepts a concrete reality for others because of my friends in Sudan.

In the midst of the dichotomy in my mind, I am glad to know that there are many, many people calling for action. There is a huge rally coming up in April to draw specific attention to Darfur, and many nonprofit and social justice organizations are banding together to keep the developed world accountable to recognizing human equality. I am not so naïve that I expect these issues to just go away silently, but I pray that someday I will wake up to read another story of unexpected good news- this time from out of Sudan.

3 Comments:

Blogger Jo said...

Erin!

Hey I just wanted to say I have been browsing your blog via Lahash and have been touched by your thoughts and poetry--beautiful words, explorative ideas, questions and lots of heart.

I just read this thought that has stuck with me and sort of identifies with your last entry: if knowledge means power, then why do I feel so powerless?

the more we truly know, the deeper the burden, the more we are called to embrace---the more pain we feel, the more we see the need for healing and redemption and we just can't fix it all...

i think when we learn about certain places, conflicts, injustices, our call is to love--which means responsibility--because to truly know means to love and care and react...do something! but often our struggles and compassion's biggest obstacle or greatest identification is the sense of powerlessness at times. we can do something here and now, but things can be overwhelming leaving us a bit paralyzed, feeling powerless.
the danger is maybe we will feel that we can no longer enter into the suffering that makes this world break, and people become statistics, and groups mentioned in a news report...

the good thing "un-danger" is that we realize we need a Redeemer who will consumate and heal creation FULLY one day. we are participants in this kingdom now and coming.

if we read the newspaper and weep every morning or rejoice over something, God is moving out hearts.

because it is truly personal for you now, you feel it...and your right, reading the newspaper is so much harder when you "really" read it---with "eyes that can see, and ears that can hear" the stories of others you know and love. you do your part and pray that God raises up others and you to continue to work for peace, mercy, justice...i think feeling powerless is part of entering into suffering and therefore necessary, and God help us find a way to channel our love and energy into his ministry of care and a peaceable realm.

sometimes it seems like enough and other times, we want to just scream that all the suffering just stops now! now! now!
alright, enough ramblings..
shalom.
take care friend.
jo (in TZ)

March 23, 2006 5:14 AM  
Blogger Erin said...

Jo! It is wonderful to hear from you. Thanks for the comment. I really appreciate your thoughts and hopeful words. Thanks for connecting powerlessness and suffering and redemption. What a beautiful picture.

I'm going to miss seeing you at Easter this year. No chance that you'll drop in to Salem for the vigil? It's just a short 30 hour plane trip away...

March 23, 2006 9:28 AM  
Blogger Jo said...

hey erin! i wish i could join you at Easter!!! are you all getting together at the Earls in Salem this year? id be jealous. but i am allowed to be jealous because i didnt give it up for lent =)...you gotta dance like crazy for me to some bob marley and eat some of that sheps curry and wine...and listen for hours to sharon wisdom and insight about life and God over tea...play some mud football etc etc etc...
blessings upon you and others as you celebrate and reflect! and the release of the CPTers is such a hopeul beautiful sign, and the something to truly reflect on and celebrate...(as well as the death of Tom Fox, you should read his blog, he was amazing. www.waitinginthelight.blogspot.com)their courage and love and commitment to the way of Jesus...ah, i was so thrilled when I read about it yesterday, my sister even called me to check and see if i had heard!

hey i sort of got that quote wrong. i missed a phrase.

"if knowledge is power, than how come the more i know the more I feel powerless"

...but i think you read it right anyway =)

March 24, 2006 8:10 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home