January 14, 2006

Turn it up a bit.

So much is happening in the world. With Supreme Court candidates being interviewed, more international nuclear spats, and death row debates, I feel like I have a lot more listening to do before I can start talking.

.......

I like to cook.

Sixteen friends came over for dinner on Thursday night. Most of them are regulars at our weekly Communion Dinner, but it is unusual to have everyone attend in one week. I don't think that I have ever tried to make a meal for that many people before.

I knew that I would be gone all day, so I decided to go with a curried lentil experiment in the crock pot. That meant that the preparation could all be done the night before, and the food could cook on its own while I was at work.

Curry makes me happy. My friends brought various toppings and sides to complement the spicy lentils and rice. I liked the way that it turned out. And its a good thing that I did like it. I have enough leftovers to feed at least sixteen more friends.

The beginnings: Coconut milk and lentils.

Pretty curry.

Stained hands.

Can you even see the lentils under all of that?

4 Comments:

Blogger Jason + Tiff said...

Hey! i remember when that DougHandPicture was taken:)
That was DELICIOUS Erin!!! I'm in awe of your cooking:)

January 14, 2006 8:21 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ahh! Those pictures make me SO hungery! It looks like you guys had a great time. :)

January 15, 2006 9:49 PM  
Blogger Anonymous Me said...

>I feel like I have a lot more listening >to do before I can start talking.

Yeah, I always feel like that.

How about posting, or sending me, the recipe for the curried lentils? They look delicious.

January 17, 2006 11:56 AM  
Blogger Erin said...

Nancy- The curry recipe was a little bit inspiration, so I hope I can remember everything:

(To serve four):
In a bowl combine
1 c. Lentils
2 c. Water
12 oz. Coconut Milk
1/8 c. Curry powder or paste (more or less to taste)
1/2 tsp. Cinnamon
3 Tablespoons brown sugar (more or less to taste)
1 tsp. Minced Garlic
Dash of salt

Throw it all in the slow cooker, and leave it on low for 8+ hours.

When you come back to it, the top may look dark. You can either scrape it off or mix it in, but it won't affect the taste.

Top with any of the following raisins, fresh fruit (pineapple, pears, apples, mango), coconut, peanuts (not for your family), green onions, cilantro, or whatever your imagination can come up with.

Serve it over rice with plain yogurt.

Enjoy!

January 17, 2006 11:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home