January 06, 2006

Into the shining light.

I've learned over the years that it is nearly impossible for me to focus on reading or writing when there is music playing within earshot. The slight exception is classical or jazz that has absolutely no lyrics, but even that can push me close to the edge.

The sensitivity seems to exist because I am an auditory learner. This particular aptitude comes in handy when one is taking lecture-based classes, but it makes reading in coffee shops nearly impossible. I've often found myself quietly singing along with the Starbucks mix instead of doing the work that brought me there in the first place.

But I really can't blame music for my procrastination. I know enough about myself to understand what kind of environment must exist for my brain to be productive. Really, even this blog post is just another way for me to put off the writing that I had planned to do tonight. Now you know the truth.

.........

Where you live should not decide
Whether you live or whether you die.
-Crumbs from your Table by U2

.........

Is it a coincidence that my brother was born on Epiphany? I don't think so. Happy Birthday, JRee.

3 Comments:

Blogger Jason + Tiff said...

HappyBirthdayErin'sBrother!

Erin, I somewhat understand the music/reading thing... I used to have a major problem with it too... but was "forced" to change. If only life was a musical, then we'd have no problem!!...

January 07, 2006 5:44 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm with you on not being able to concentrate with music playing (or any noise really). It makes it really difficult to read quickly too, because if I really want to comprehend what I am reading I have to hear each word in my head. Skimming thus becomes impossible. If only we were more like your brother in this area :)

January 09, 2006 9:09 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have the same problem, except I don't think I'm an auditory learner. May I underestimate myself there.

Regardless, I've found that non-lyrical (or lyrics I don't understand) music actually helps me study...I think one of my favorite studying CDs is the Yellow River Concerto.

March 29, 2006 6:24 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home