June 12, 2005

So much better than math.

My heart feels very full tonight. I went to a graduation party for Qadra, one of the girls that I have been tutoring in math through the last few months. Qadra is one of my favorites, and I am sad that we won't be exchanging jokes with her over a Geometry book anymore. I loved being with her family, and we danced the night away with her girlfriends and little sisters.
My friend Denise was along for the evening. She posted a beautiful description of the details on her website.
Here are a few cell phone-quality pictures to share with you:
Erin and Qadra

The girls at the party.

Huni and Mona wave to the camera.
A traditional Somali dance.

Onlookers clap and sing along.

Authentic Somalian cuisine. So good.

Goofing off with the youngest ones.

1 Comments:

Blogger APN said...

Wow....

Such a beautiful experience -- not just the party, with family & food, but the chance to connect with people from other cultures & ways of life AND to have an impact. I've always loved tutoring....

June 15, 2005 4:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home